Monday, May 17, 2010

Syttende Mai

Syttende Mai - May 17th. Norwegian Constitution Day.

Syttende Mai always makes me think of Westby, WI where Kevin's cousin lives.

Here's a pic I took of Kevin and Eric in the lanai. They really DO look like old Norwegian trolls, don't they. ;-)

Several years ago, Kevin and I, along with our two (or maybe three) kids at that time, attended the quilt auction at the Syttende Mai celebration in Westby and came away with the quilts pictured below:

This is the postage stamp quilt, and the squares are about 1 1/4 inches. This is an Amish, handmade quilt. I do think of all the work involved whenever I look at this quilt!  I think I'll stick to making soap.


This one is my favorite. I never tire of the colors, although probably everyone else in the family is sick to death of the thing. :-) Look at the hand stitching in this amazing quilt!


So, May 17 always reminds me of Westby, of Syttende Mai, of Eric, and......

...of our daughter-in-law Stacey!  :-)  Happy Birthday, Stacey!!  :-)

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Thank you, Judy! I love those quilts too...and Kevin's purple and black "bear paw" (I think that is the pattern...)with all that stitching and the name of the lady who made it stitched into the corner..."Anna S".

Eric sent me a lovely rendition of the Norwegian National Anthem and asked me why I wasn't in Westby celebrating this year. We will have to go celebrate there next year! It has been a very, very long time since we were last there...before we moved to California.

Lots of love to you!

Stacey

partialemptynester said...

Fun, fun! Love the quilts...I had my grandmother make me a baby quilt for my wedding, bc I knew she was getting on in years and my wedding quilt would probably be her last...so glad I did, so my kids have the baby quilt from "Ma Flippin"! You're daughter-in-law is so pretty!!

Deborah said...

Beautiful quilts and yes your daughter-in-law is beautiful. :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails