Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Chicken Fajitas with Black Beans and Rice Recipe


I think I could eat this every night for a week and not tire of it. Black beans, rice, chicken, peppers, onions, guacamole, sprinkled with lime juice and wrapped in a tortilla. Oh yum!


Waiting to be wrapped in a tortilla




Tortilla thrown into the cast iron skillet for a few seconds, turned over, and heated again for a few seconds on med-low makes the tortilla soft and manageable, easy to fold without breaking.



If you don't want to take the time to make your own, I'd recommend this one!

Chicken Fajitas with Black Beans and Rice Recipe: 

(This is also Gluten free, except for the flour tortilla. You can substitute a 'Food For Life' gluten-free tortilla and then the whole thing is gluten free, including the 'Wholly Guacamole')

4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Mix together:
2 T. olive oil
Juice of one fresh-squeezed lime
2 T. chili powder (I substitute 1 t. paprika, 1 t. cayenne, 1 t. oregano, 2 t. cumin)
salt
1 diced jalapeno pepper
5 minced garlic cloves


Pour mixture over the chicken. Cook on low in Crockpot for 8 hours. When it's done, shred it with a fork and mix thoroughly.


Meanwhile, about a half hour before the chicken is ready:


Heat 1 can of black beans with 1/2 t. cumin, 1/4 t. coriander, dash red pepper, salt, and a sprinkling of chopt cilantro leaves. Also, a little GF chili powder doesn't hurt.

Saute 2 red peppers, 1 jalapeno, and 2 large onions in a little olive oil in a large skillet. Actually, we love the peppers and onions, so I usually double this amount.

Cook basmati rice, about  1 1/2 c. rice to 3 c. water. Add a little cilantro and the juice of one lime, a little salt, and a bit of coriander. Bring to a boil, cover, simmer for 23 minutes.


This makes a great buffet. Set out the Crockpot of shredded chicken, a bowl of shredded mozzarella cheese, a bowl of guacamole, a bowl of fresh lime wedges, the rice, the peppers and onions, and the beans.


As each person takes a plate, toss a large flour tortilla into a cast iron skillet that's been sprayed with a GF cooking spray. Heat it on low a few seconds on each side, then move it to the plate. Now your guests can place all the toppings they want, fold it, and eat!

I can make this for a 1 PM meal if I put the chicken in the crockpot on high for 5 hours, beginning at 8 AM.  It helps to have the peppers and onions sliced and in a baggie in the refrigerator so that they're ready to go.






Photobucket

 
Author, Second Chance - A Tale of Two Puppies
Check out my handcrafted soaps at Soap'n'Such

11 comments:

Unknown said...

First, I really like the Wholly Guacamole... I mean for store bought, it's really good :)
Second, yum is right!! Love these fajitas.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I'm with you, I could eat chicken fajitas day in & day out and be happy as heck :) These look delicious, I wish I had some for breakfast this am!

Angela said...

This is exactly what I was planning to make for supper tonight! :)

Candace said...

Love them so much too, Judy! And I agree....the Wholly Guacamole is a good substitute when you can't make your own. Thanks for making me hungry this morning. Have a fantastic day! :)

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Yum! It is making me hungrey for lunch already! When we make fajitas I alway feel like there is a spices missing or something. Can't wait to try this!

Empty Nester said...

I'm thinking of having Mexican food night Friday...this might be perfect!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

I am so in the mood for Mexican now!!! That looks awesome.

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Carla from The River said...

Judy,
Where do you find Wholly Guacamole?

erin said...

Wow - I have to make that....looks great!

Unknown said...

YUMMY! I LOVE the idea of putting the chicken in the crock pot!

Bird Stalker Photography said...

looks yummy, can't wait to try.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails