Friday, June 3, 2011

Hudson, Wisconsin



The town of Hudson, Wisconsin is on the Minnesota-Wisconsin border, along the St. Croix River, a little more than an hour from our home.  As you can see, we live in the Lakes District. :-)

 noaa.gov

Kevin had to do an inspection there the other day, so after the inspection we spent a little time down along the river. And boy, was it a windy day!! (like 40-50 mph wind gusts!)

 The beautiful park along the St. Croix River


The beach is missing!


 No one was having a picnic lunch. You'd have to nail down the food!


They've saved the best seats for us!


 
 As you can see, I was fascinated by the wildlife.
We did get 'downtown,' but the river's edge was much more exciting.


 Geese and Ducks, hanging out together.



 The fam - hoping the wind will die down so they can go for a cruise.



 Walking against the buffeting wind to get out into that beautiful water



 Kevin wondered if this was a talking tree.


Wisconsin statehood - 1848



'Mom, are we almost there??'

P.S. Is anyone else having trouble with their Google Search box not working?



Photobucket
Author, Second Chance - A Tale of Two Puppies
Check out my handcrafted soaps at Soap'n'Such

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Yea, it was windy to say the least!! Great pictures Judy!

Midwest to Midlands said...

Looks like the river was high. My niece lives in Hudson so I knew that sounded familiar!

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

The picture of the benches in the water is just too funny!

Caution/Lisa said...

Looks like a beautiful park though. Those geese are braver swimmers than I am :)

Becky said...

I LOVE that we live in the Lakes District! That must be why you love that part of England, it just takes a special kind of people to handle the Weather we get. and a special kind of geese I guess.

Jean | Delightful Repast said...

Wow! How wonderful that you went along and got to enjoy that. Beautiful photos, especially the one of the park with the winding path. I'm a sucker for a winding path. I would have had my picnic lunch in the car, though, rather than "nail it down." Though, with rubber Wellies, it might have been fun to sit on those benches in the water. (Note to self: Keep Wellies in the car at all times.)

Empty Nester said...

The water looks as though it was quite windy out there! You really got some beautiful captures! What was the temp? Did the wind cool you off or freeze you? LOL

Cranberry Morning said...

Yes, it was VERY VERY windy, to the point that sometimes it was hard to stay vertical! But it wasn't cold. It was in the 70s, though, and a polar fleece jacket was warm enough even with the wind. I usually wear a visor to keep the sun out of my eyes but there's no way it would stay on in that wind!

I need another pair of 'Wellies' to keep in the trunk of the Jeep along with a picnic blanket. Wouldn't that be a great idea! Thanks, Jean.

Jean | Delightful Repast said...

You're welcome, but it sounds like maybe you ought to keep a pair of hip-waders in the Jeep!

Anonymous said...

They saved a seat for us!! Hysterical!! Too bad it was so windy...and flooded! It looks like you had a great time anyway! :)

Heide at ApronHistory said...

What lovely pictures! The sky is so blue! Those little goslings are too cute. Mandy and I always watch for the ducklings at the park, not to many this year. Love the picture of the benches, too funny.

That is such a good way of putting it, "we live in the Lake District"! :) It definatly is!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

What great photos and I think that tree could certainly talk...either that or come to life and reach thru the window and pluck you out of bed like that tree in Poltergeist that terrified me as a child. Who let me watch that movie????

Have a great weekend!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Tiffanee said...

Oh I love the animal families!! Windy, but beautiful. Looks like a great day trip!!

J_on_tour said...

Great post, pictures and captions. I'm not a fan of the wind either & thanks for posting the map. I don't fancy sitting in that spa seat as it might not be there by the time I decide to leave !

mom in rome said...

looooove your pictures!!! :)

Mama Hen said...

Beautiful pictures! That is some windy day my friend! Imagine sitting on those park benches. I love the wildlife pictures. I hope you are doing well. Have a great weekend!

Mama Hen

Judy said...

Nice photos, Judy. We've been to Hudson, enroute to MPLS/Cambridge. Fun place. As for Google/blogger, I could only post pictures today/ no text. Very weird....will see if I can post this!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails