Wednesday, June 8, 2011

My All-time Favorite Potato Salad Recipe


I was going to say that this was the BEST-EVER potato salad, but I realize that some of you are loyal to your own or your mother's or grandmother's (or grandfather's) potato salad recipe.

This is a very easy but delicious potato salad made with common ingredients: Potatoes, eggs, Miracle Whip, Dijon mustard, dill pickle, onion, and chives. This may be a variation on a theme, i.e. my mom's recipe with a few of my own modifications, e.g. the Miracle Whip rather than real mayonnaise (which I don't like) and the addition of dill pickle and pickle juice, which is an addition I love! (This is something I've been making for years.)

My Favorite Potato Salad Recipe:

5 small-medium potatoes, scrubbed well, skins left on, boiled until just tender (don't overcook), cooled, and cut into small chunks
6 eggs, hard-boiled, peeled, and chopped
1/2-3/4 c. Miracle Whip salad dressing (not the light variety)
2 T. Dijon mustard
3 dill pickles (Polish dills are preferable), diced
1/4 c. onion, chopped
2-3 T. dill pickle juice
S&P to taste
Handful of chives, snipped with a scissors
Chive blossoms to arrange on top of salad

Mix potatoes and eggs.  Remember to leave the potato skins on.
Stir in Miracle Whip and mustard.
Add pickles and onion.
Stir in  dill pickle juice. You don't want too much or it will become soupy, but the dill pickle juice gives it a nice zip.
Snip the chives and stir into the salad, reserving some for on top.
Just before serving, set the blossoms on top and sprinkle remaining chives on top.

Tip #1:  Make potato salad when your chives are in bloom, for then you can decorate the top with the pretty blossoms.

Tip #2: This is a great salad to have with grilled chicken and baked beans (and fresh asparagus, if you've got it) - making the perfect picnic food.

Tip #3: Refrigerate until ready to serve, then refrigerate again as soon as everyone's served.

If you make this recipe, I'd love to hear how you liked it.

America's Favorite Potato Salad
(well, maybe)


This post is linked to: Making the World Cuter Mondays
and Something I Whipped Up Monday
and Motivate Me Monday
and Making Monday Marvelous
and Made from Scratch Tuesday
and Delectable Tuesday
and Anything Related Tuesday
and Take a Look Tuesday
and Tasty Tuesday
and Tempt My Tummy Tueadays
and Wandering Wednesday
and What's Cookin' Wednesday
and We Did it Wednesday
and Thrilling Thursday
and Favorite Things Friday
and I'm Lovin' it Friday
and It's a Hodgepodge Friday
and Fat Camp Friday
and Fun With Food Friday



Photobucket
Author, Second Chance - A Tale of Two Puppies
Check out my handcrafted soaps at Soap'n'Such


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, I love a good potatoe salad! Will have to give this recipe a try, thanks.

Michelle
A-Tisket A-Tasket

Unknown said...

LOVE potato salad..and the more "common" ingredients it has the better in my book! My mom made her potato salad very much like this except she used mayo instead of the Miracle Whip! It is sooooo good :)

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, that sounds so fabulous! Always leave the skins on, never waste the pickle juice with all its flavor ... you're a girl after my own heart ... :)

Caution/Lisa said...

My husband loves potato salad but I don't. Maybe it's the mustard thing. I could be a very loving wife, though, and try this recipe for him...

Midwest to Midlands said...

I haven't had homemade potato salad in ages, yours looks so good.

Chef in Training said...

Yum! This looks great! and what a fabulous side dish! I will have to try it sometime! I found your through a link party and i LOVE it! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow my blog too! Thanks!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

Lolly said...

that looks really good Judy - I'm going to try that tomorrow...I love potato salad

Judy said...

Gosh, your recipe is almost like mine which came from my mom who was raised in Appleton. I use bread and butter pickles though and through some pickle relish into the dressing.....

Under Her Wings said...

I'll try it at the next potluck. I don't like the taste of Miracle Whip, but I put sugar in my potato salad, so there probably isn't much difference. I love the look of yours! What are the little purple flowers? Is that the flower of the chives?

Cranberry Morning said...

Yes, those little flowers are chive flowers! :-)

Life Happens said...

I love a good potato salad. I've never had it with dill pickles or chives. Definitely will have to try your recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Candace said...

Perfect timing! I never knew that chives bloomed until I moved to New Hampshire. Mine never did in Louisiana and now I have the most beautiful blossoms on the chives outside. I was thinking that I should do more than photograph them and now you have provided me with the perfect recipe. Thank you! Not only is it lovely, I'm quite sure it tastes fantastic, as well. We love potato salad in the summer time.

Unknown said...

I love the chives in bloom added to your potato salad! Pretty display.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails