Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Raspberry Rhubarb Bars (also gluten-free version)


I'm giving you two of these recipes for the price of one: the regular version and the gluten-free version

Raspberry Rhubarb Bars Recipe:

4 c. chopt rhubarb

1/3 c. sugar  (The original recipe called for 1 c. of sugar, but I think that's way too sweet)
2 c. flour
½ t. soda
¾ c. butter
1 ½ c. coconut
1 t. vanilla
1 c. chopt walnuts
6 oz. regular Raspberry Jell-O.


Combine rhubarb and Jello, mixing to coat rhubarb thoroughly with Jello. Put in greased 9 x 13 pan. I like to use a glass baking dish for this recipe.






 
Mix sugar, flour, soda. Cut in butter. Stir in coconut, vanilla, and nuts. 



Spread over top of rhubarb. Bake at 350 degrees F.  for 30-45 minutes or until rhubarb is bubbling and top is lightly browned. 

Like this:



Warning: These are addictive (no matter which version you make).

Gluten-free Raspberry Rhubarb Bars Recipe:

4 c. chopt rhubarb
1/3 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. brown rice flour (or white rice flour)
1/2 c. tapioca flour
1/2 t. xanthan gum
1/2 t. baking soda
3/4 c. butter
1 1/2 c. coconut
1 t. vanilla
1 c. chopt walnuts (I'll have to admit that, in my opinion, walnuts make everything taste better!)
2 - 3 oz. pkgs. sugar-free Raspberry Jell-O or 6 oz. regular Raspberry Jell-O (contains sugar)

Combine rhubarb and Jello, to coat rhubarb thoroughly with Jello. Put in greased 9 x 13 pan. I like to use a glass baking dish for this recipe.

Mix sugar, flour, soda. Cut in butter. Stir in coconut, vanilla, and nuts. Spread over top of rhubarb. Bake at 350  for 30-45 minutes or until rhubarb is bubbling and top is lightly browned. 


If you have another rhubarb dessert recipe that you LOVE, feel free to leave it as a comment! :-)  Thanks.

P.S. And guess what!  Picky, picky Joe didn't even realize that the recipe I made was the gluten-free version. :-) He just gobbled it down and said it was good!  Oh, and when I make gluten-free chocolate chip cookies, he's doesn't know that either. (Let's keep it our secret.)


This post is linked to: Making the World Cuter Mondays
and Something I Whipped Up Monday
and Motivate Me Monday
and Making Monday Marvelous
and Made from Scratch Tuesday
and Delectable Tuesday
and Anything Related Tuesday
and Take a Look Tuesday
and Tasty Tuesday
and Tempt My Tummy Tueadays
and Wandering Wednesday
and What's Cookin' Wednesday
and We Did it Wednesday
and Thrilling Thursday
and Favorite Things Friday
and I'm Lovin' it Friday
and It's a Hodgepodge Friday
and Fat Camp Friday
and Fun With Food Friday
Photobucket
Author, Second Chance - A Tale of Two Puppies
Check out my handcrafted soaps at Soap'n'Such

14 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I should make this for my mom, she LOVES rhubarb! I love the bright color the jello adds :) Looks tasty indeed!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

I am hitting the farm on Friday so I'll be making this on Saturday for sure!!! thanks!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Empty Nester said...

I have GOT to try some rhubarb!

Pam said...

Oh, this definitely looks delicious. I haven't had rhubarb yet this year so will have to buy some now.

Tiffanee said...

Oh serve me up a plate! This looks and sounds so delicious!! YUM!!

Carla from The River said...

This looks so good! Thank you for sharing!

Unknown said...

Oh, Judy, that looks soooo good! I would love a big hunk of that with some ice cream right now.. I don't care that it's only 6am!!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Ohhh! Rhubard, raspberries and coconut! That sounds heavenly. It was a great year for rhubard down here, we got HUGE stalks.

Mama Hen said...

This looks delicious! I have to try it! Have a great day!

Mama Hen

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, those are GORGEOUS! And I'll bet they taste even better ... :)

jennyfreckles said...

I love rhubarb - usually I just stew it, mix it with some chopped ginger in syrup and wolf it down!

Jane said...

These look so good! Rhubarb screams summer to me. I love the tangy and sweet combination. I can't wait to make these!

Candace said...

Raspberry and Rhubarb! What a fabulous combination! I've got to try that. I've only had it with strawberries but I know that the raspberries would be amazing.

Anonymous said...

this looks great! never would have thought to use jello?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails