Friday, June 24, 2011

View from St. Paul's Cathedral London


Let's just suppose that you were in London, and let's just suppose that you were walking along and looked up to see the dome of St. Paul's Cathedral...



...As you approached the north door
you wondered what it would be like to be near the top of the building to see the view...


...so you walked inside, climbed the 257 worn, stone steps up to the 'whispering gallery,' then another 119 steps to get to the 'stone gallery' an area outside the dome...


Yes, this is it. Looking over the balustrade, you're stunned by the view!  
Don't be impatient; we're getting there.

And wouldn't you think that would be adequate?? But no, because Kevin wants to go the remaining 154 steps to the 'Golden Gallery.'  Why?   Because it's there??


I had no doubt that my husband would survive the climb, it's just that one could, quite easily it seems, launch oneself from the dome of St. Paul's if one were so inclined. Then again, we don't hear of that happening very often, do we. ANYway, I have to give Kevin the credit for the photos from the Stone Gallery and the Golden Gallery. I was safe inside the dome at the Whispering Gallery, being perfectly content to look down at the gorgeous interior of St. Paul's.


So this is the kind of thing I was looking at (above) while Kevin was risking life and limb several feet above me. He's the guy who's eager to drive Hardknott Pass (while I walk.)


So, can I identify these shots he took? Mostly, no. But I think the above view was looking east from the dome.


From the dome, looking down onto the west end and towers


The clock tower (the south tower) on the west end.


looking north



Looking north, to the center of the financial district
Obviously, Christopher Wren did not design the Swiss Re building


East with a zoom - Tower Bridge


Looking southeast, and on the south bank of the Thames, the Anchor Bar and Restaurant

'This is one of London's oldest and most historic pubs, it was around during the Great Fire of London in 1666. It itself succumbed to fire later on and was rebuilt in 1676...


...They have a big dining room which has gorgeous views over the Thames. They also have a Shakespeare Room which has pine paneling from the 18th century. This room is used mostly for functions and the like.'  from Virtual Tourist



Shakespeare's Globe Theatre on south bank


 This is an interior shot of the Globe which I took in 2004 when my daughters and I went to London.
Obviously not a view from the top of St. Pauls


Looking south at the Millennium Bridge and Tate Modern
I once bought 'chestnuts roasting on an open fire' at the south end of the bridge.
Shakespeare's Globe is just off the frame to the left (east)


Looking southwest, the OXO building and the London Eye



Looking west, southwest. 

I'm trying to figure out what the round building is at the right side of the photo. I think that's Blackfriar's Bridge that we see (just a couple blocks west of the Millennium Bridge) and I think the one in the distance (way to the right) is Charing Cross.

If someone reading this knows, I would appreciate it if you would leave a comment informing me.


Looking south again. There, now you can see Shakespeare's Globe in relation to the Tate Modern



I think this is a long zoom shot which brings what I think is Charing Cross Station appearing so close. Also, there's that round building again.

I think I need to stop obsessing over that round building now (doing a Google search on 'round building in London' wouldn't help me much).

Have a great weekend! Let me know when you're going to London. :-)

Be sure to enter my Soap'n'Such Giveaway if you haven't already. :-) It ends Sunday night.

Photobucket

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Whoa! I do not remember the Swiss Re Building or the Ferris wheel being there the last time I was in London. Thanks for the smile at the old favorites. Those "worn" stone steps amaze me every time with their testimony as to the history and incredible number of people who made those marks.

Midwest to Midlands said...

I climbed to the top of St. Pauls with a heavy backpack on my back -not recommended, but the views were great, when we weren't worried about being blown away with the wind that day! When am I going to London - 2 weeks from today when I have relatives visiting. It will be a super quick day tour. Are you going to join us?

In answer to your comment, it may not be the Cotswolds, but it looks like you have your own bit of paradise there in Wisconsin!

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, the cathedral is SO gorgeous!!! I love the architecture, statuary, windows, everything about the old structures ... :) It's so jarring, though, to see modernity juxtaposed with this oasis of spirituality and inspiration!

Jean | Delightful Repast said...

Judy, thanks for the trip to London this morning. I needed it! I have no idea what the round building is, but trust you will let us all know as soon as you find out. I would never attempt those steps, I would be so dizzy, let alone accompany your husband to the very limit!

Cranberry Morning said...

And I think of how different the architecture is that took, in some cases, generations to build, and which, in many cases, was built to the glory of God. I don't see love, beauty, and freedom of expression in the utilitarian buildings of the former Soviet Union, for example. Thanks for bringing that up, Mary. Something to ponder.

And yes, Wisconsin definitely is a beautiful state - especially when we can see it in more colors than white.

Carole Poirot said...

Salut, thanks for your comment on my blog, I really appreciate it. The building you're looking at is (I think) part of Blackfriars Station which is currently under contruction. Don't take my word for it though ;-) Have a great weekend, Love from London xo

Heide at ApronHistory said...

I didn't know you could climb to the top of St.Paul's?? How did I miss that fact? Love the picture from the whispering gallery and the red buses in the street.
I am not much of a picture taker(I forget). But that is what you have sisters and cousins for, right?

Robin said...

St. Paul's is amazing!! So beautiful inside. These pictures are great, Kevin did a good job taking them. I'm like you Judy, I stayed at the Whispering Gallery and didnt go up any higher.

Cranberry Morning said...

Not to equate Kevin with a canary in a coal mine, but now that I've seen those photos and know that he made it back safe and sound, I might be tempted to climb to the top...next time.

I bet that round building is connected to Blackfriars, cuz it is right next to the bridge. Hmmm. Thanks.

J_on_tour said...

Wonderful post giving a vantage point of the city I haven't seen before. I must confess that, although I have systematically seen numerous sights in the past, I am not an expert on London. This post was an education to me as I didn't know where the Globe theatre was, even though I had walked over The MIllennium bridge last year on my 1st digital camera whistle stop overview. To follow statements like that, there's no point in asking me what the round building is .... although I did see it on Google maps.
My diary is busy but is not full and although I have no current plans to go to London, you may have tempted me just for fun (at first) to check some dummy dates on the East Coast website for prices.

George The Lad said...

Great post, I went to London as a child many years ago, I remembered I was surprised how close all the visiter attractions are.
Love that first photo :)
Have a good week
See Yea George and Jan xxx

Prairiemaid said...

Love the picture tour of London....I'm especially fond of those red double-deck buses. They always make me smile. (At one time, I had an ashtray that had a very small one attached. My aunt and uncle brought it to me on one of their trips.)

About the cuttings...let's wait a little while. I plan on ordering some soap, but it will probably be in August. You can just include the cuttings with my soap order, if that is okay.

Praying you are having a marvelous day!!!

Blessings,
Cheryl

Life Happens said...

Beautiful pictures! I've never been to London, but would love to go someday. Thanks for taking me there through your photos!

Have a great weekend.

Carla from The River said...

Dear Judy,
You should have "Feed the Birds" from Mary Poppins playing as we read your post. :-) When I went to London, I could not help but to look for the old lady asking us to feed the birds.

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Wow, what beautiful pictures! It's so funny Carla mentioned "Feed the Birds" because that song crossed my mind, also, as I was looking at the pictures!

Mama Hen said...

Wow! I love the pictures from the dome looking downward. The clocktower is gorgeous! You always take the best pictures! Makes me want to travel. I hope you are having a great weekend! My sisiter and her family are in England this week. Have a wonderful day!

Mama Hen

Joyce said...

Fabulous pictures! I lived west and a bit south of the city. Sigh.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

What great pictures and view! I couldn't ever get that high. I am afraid of heights, although I have done a few things that I didn't ever think I could do - stand fairly close to the edge at the Grand Canyon and most recently went on a zipline. :)

Jennifer Farris said...

Wow! This is so neat, Cranberry! I remember being stunned as I walked into St. Paul's. Never saw those view from the top, though. I liked the one with the ferris wheel in it. ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails