Friday, June 10, 2011

What do Doc Martin and Jane Austen have in Common?



There are two places in SW England that I would love to see well, okay, there are many more, but we'll deal with these two at the moment: The cottage (and location, Point A on the map above) that was used as Barton Cottage in the best movie version of Sense & Sensibility, my favorite Jane Austen book. - (Hattie Morahan as Elinor Dashwood, Dan Stevens as Edward Ferrars and some creepy guy as the totally creepy Willoughby! Not only was he slimy, but he was even ugly and slimy!)


Barton Cottage from Sense & Sensibility
(I'm already getting seasick looking at that horizon, but that's the way the photo came)


AND the village of Port Isaac where the hilarious Doc Martin episodes were filmed. (Point B on the map above)

Port Isaac Harbour 
Photo SelfcateringPortIsaac

After looking them up on Mapquest.co.uk, I find that they are only about 39.5 miles apart. It's always amazing to me how close together EVERY place in England is to every place else in England. Living in a state that is at least a 6 hour drive from north to south, it is such a relief to find that in England, I could, theoretically, fulfill this desire without spending all day driving from point A to point B. Of course, we're not discussing airfare or the 8 hours it takes to get from MSP to LHR!


And just a little more on Jane Austen: I would like to see Daniela Denby-Ashe and Richard Armitage (from the amazing movie North and South, based on the book by Elizabeth Gaskell) play the roles of Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy in yet another remake of Pride & Prejudice. I think they would be total naturals for those roles! IMHO, of course! :-)

 Mr. Darcy........................................Elizabeth Bennett


Can someone please get started on this project??   We're burnin' daylight!  as they say.

I'll love hearing your opinions on Pride & Prejudice, Sense & Sensibility, North & South... even if they are wrong. LOL  ♥♥

Photobucket
Author, Second Chance - A Tale of Two Puppies
Check out my handcrafted soaps at Soap'n'Such

11 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

Love the title of the post -- I would've checked in with you anyway, 'cause I love ya, but that was most intriguing! All of Europe always seems to be just a short drive or train ride away, as opposed to the schleps we have here. As you said in a recent comment, you live in the state NEXT DOOR TO MINE; and yet, drive south, go 'round that lake, across another state ... oy!

Mama Hen said...

I love your travel posts! It looks beautiful there and when I find myself back in England I will try to head over there. I hope you have a fabulous weekend!

Mama Hen

Empty Nester said...

Aw, how sweet of you to post about my new home! LOL

I would drop everything and move there in an instant!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy your blog. This is Denise

Unknown said...

You had me at Jane Austen!

Jean | Delightful Repast said...

Judy, our friends from here have a daughter who lives in that general vicinity and they spent much of the month of April with her. One of the highlights of their holiday was visiting Port Isaac. They actually got to see some of the filming. They were so excited. I love your idea for the P&P remake! North and South was fabulous! Of course, we need to clarify that with a lot of people--seems most think I'm talking about the American miniseries.

Under Her Wings said...

I love British flicks, especially Jane Austen!

Tiffanee said...

Your pictures always leave me breathless!! So beautiful!

J_on_tour said...

Port Isaac is a beautiful place that I visited for a short time ( maybe less than 2 hours ) although I am a bit ignorant on the other location as we were focused on the nearby famous Clovelly. I must catch up with this Doc Martin series sometime. I was wondering if you visited the Jane Austen centre when you were in Bath. I passed the door of it on 5 or 6 occasions from the main car park when I was taken there.
Have a great weekend, this is my 2nd one in a row at home due to re-arranged plans ... gardening & housework !

Robin said...

I love the show Doc Martin. When I get back to England, I want to visit Port Isaac.

Heide at ApronHistory said...

I just watched my first Doc Martin last week! Too funny!

Another version of P&P? LOL Of course, just what we need! Though the characters in North and South kinda remind me of Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails