Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Chicken Tenders with Hot Mustard and Apricot Dipping Sauce Recipe


The mustard sauce for this recipe, tweaked slightly, was originally a marinade from Jenn's Food Journey, a blog which regularly gives me great ideas for dinner. Be sure to visit. She's always got something delicious on the grill!

But, rather than grill whole chicken breasts this time, I decided to make fried, breaded chicken tenders on top of the stove in a skillet. And I added some cayenne to the sauce to give it a little more kick.

Chicken Tenders with Hot Mustard and Apricot Dipping Sauce Recipe:

3 large, boneless and skinless chicken breasts, sliced into 1/2 inch slices (no thicker) against the grain.
2/3 c. flour
garlic salt
coarse black pepper

1/4 c. corn oil (because it does a better job of browning the chicken)

Sauce recipe:
1/2 c. apricot preserves
2 T. Country Dijon mustard
1 T. fresh lemon juice
1 t. dried thyme
1/4 t. cayenne

Place flour in a gallon Ziploc bag. A few at a time, toss chicken slices in flour. Heat oil in skillet. Move breaded chicken slices to skillet, as many at a time as will comfortably fit in skillet without crowding. Sprinkle garlic salt and black pepper on breaded chicken slices.  Fry about 4 minutes on each side with heat on high or med-high. DON'T walk away from hot oil.

I'm not certain how long I fried these on each side, because I was listening to an interesting radio show, but I wanted them to be crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. I used a meat thermometer to test the inside: 168 degrees. Also, when I cut one open with a knife, it was no longer pink and watery. When they are cooked through and crispy, golden brown on both sides, move them to a warm plate and fry remaining chicken.

While chicken tenders are frying, mix up the sauce and place in a bowl.

This should serve 4 people, each person getting a little more than 3 large chicken tenders and a generous spoonful of sauce to dip them in.

These are amazingly delicious! And that sauce recipe is now part of my 'Favorites' folder!







Photobucket

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

MMmmmm, those look good. I'm a BIG fan of sauces too. I haven't had breakfast yet today and now my stomach is really growling!
Michelle

http://a-tisket-a-tasket-books.blogspot.com/

Still can't log into to post comments for some reason.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I entered your soapnsuch giveaway at Frenchy's!

Michelle

Unknown said...

Oooohhh... that looks really good! Love the little tweak to the sauce recipe too :) Glad I can help inspire!!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

That apricot sauce looks so good! I love apricot!

Empty Nester said...

I would never lose a single pound if I lived with y'all. But I'd be happy. LOL

Under Her Wings said...

Sounds yummy, but I've been too busy de-rining (sp?) watermelons so that I can make watermelon rind pickles and preserves. I think I'm nuts. Your chicken and apricot sauce sounds much better, and a lot less trouble.

Anonymous said...

What a GREAT recipe! I'd like to invite you over to Lady Behind The Curtain for my link party "Cast Party Wednesday" to share this and more of your recipes.
Thanks,
I hope to see you there!

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, those look so good!!! Love the sauce, too! Anything with mustard, apricot or both ... :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails