Friday, August 10, 2012

Cutting the Alfalfa Field

The alfalfa, waiting and more-than ready



Looking Beautiful

Trrrrrrract-tah!

When we got home yesterday, this monster tractor was sitting at the edge of the alfalfa field. I couldn't resist getting a few photos. This thing is crazy big (and expensive). And boy, can it cut alfalfa fast! I think the attached piece of equipment is a disc mower. I looked up Fendt on Google images and this is what I came up with. If you happen to know that's wrong, please correct me.




The Work Beast

...and that is not a reference to the woman who was driving the tractor. I'm sure she would be happy to know that the sunshine blocked her from the photograph, but you can see the little girl riding in the jump seat (or training seat, I guess). Those in my generation who grew up on a farm are always amazed at how different it is now. I mean, cutting an alfalfa field may have meant an entire afternoon. This field is done licketysplit. (oh c'mon spellcheck!!) Anyway, it's very fast, and I wouldn't want to be a rabbit or mouse out in the field when that thing comes along.



Just past the end of the vegetable garden

All done. The alfalfa after it's been cut.



Bridger and Misty...looking for Tasty Treats,
a.k.a. Collateral Damage


...on the lookout...


Misty, wondering where I am


***

Check out all my natural, handcrafted soaps!
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE

 'Peaches & Almonds'

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at

18 comments:

Kathe said...

Farming just fascinates me! Mr. B grew up on a farm back in SK, Canada so he makes sure to suck the romance of farming right out of my day dreams LOL! I didn't know alfalfa was so pretty before it was cut! I will close my eyes and ears to the cute bunnies references LOL! Have a great weekend Judy :-)

Chatty Crone said...

Okay - so you must have rented this piece of machinery and the cutter.

It cuts the field - does it leave it on the ground or put it somewhere?

And a dumb question - what do you use alfalfa for? It is a grass right?

sandie

GretchenJoanna said...

I'd love to be there to smell it!

http://thankfullga447 said...

When I was young I worked on a farm in Germany for 2 months, it was done by hand and we filled the wagon after it dried. Great memories for me.

Cranberry Morning said...

Some of you may have the same question as Sandie, so here goes: We own the land and rent it out to farmers. They're the ones who own that expensive piece of machinery. And it's awesome! The alfalfa is for livestock. It will be either chopped or baled. It's a high protein food. In fact, when I was little, my parents sold some horrid cookies that had an alfalfa center. Definitely not something I'd want to eat on a regular basis (unless I was a kid craving cookies).

Empty Nester said...

Collateral damage---I was saying EW and laughing at the same time. I remember my great grandfather's farm but he never had any big machinery. He stuck with plows and mules until the day he died. Now a mean old woman who married one of my great uncles sold the property right out from under all of us. She never even gave anyone a head's up or option to buy the farm before she sold it. That meany just sold it to total strangers. Guess I'm not over it yet. LOL

GretchenJoanna said...

Chatty, alfalfa is not a grass but a legume, and feeds livestock. Though I used to know humans who ate alfalfa tablets to get their minerals.

Maggie Ann said...

That piece of machinery is intimidating looking! NIce that it can accomplish so much so fast though.

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

Love all your pictures!!

Denise said...

Like your pictures.

Martha said...

I didn't know alfalfa had such pretty PURPLE flowers! ♥ Go girl...so neat that she's behind the wheel!!!

RURAL said...

I love living out here and seeing the machinery that they use to farm the land.

Fields are turning golden here, it's almost time for harvest.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

MadSnapper said...

the collateral damage hunt made me hee haw out loud. jake would think he was in heaven. that is one big machine and all i could think is do not get in front of it when it is moving.

Ruth Kelly said...

I think that alfalfa is used for food for animals, right? I have never lived on a farm but I did live in a tiny village in Idaho with my grandparents. They had the only store in town.

Olive said...

Modern farming is different. My BIL used to own a huge modern farm. I have never seen alfalfa before.

Amy Burzese said...

I don't really know what alfalfa is except for that kid on the old, old TV show. But that does look like a fine piece of machinery. We live in the middle of land that my mother rents and I enjoy seeing the different pieces of equipment doing their thing. Are we going to get any more Anglophile------------------------------------------------------ (the cat had to add his 2 cents) posts?

laurie said...

I will be moving soon, and the edge of our backyard will be by a farm. I think they rotate crops, and right now it looks like soybeans. Not sure what this will be like..I'm used to hearing loons at night, now it will be crickets in the field!

J_on_tour said...

One serious piece of machinery followed by one serious clear up operation !

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails