Monday, October 7, 2013

Painting Floorboards

Some of the million (or so it seemed) floor boards, primed

Thank you to everyone who stopped in last week and said 'hi' during my little break away from the blog. As some of you may know, we're putting a porch on 1 1/2 sides of our house, and much of last week was spent priming floor boards, both sides. It seemed like the stack of boards only grew. The worst part was that when I'd fall asleep at night I'd dream that I was painting, so I actually did it twice! Anyway, I'd seen the weather forecast and knew that we better get the priming done by Wednesday evening, for we were expecting rain on Thursday and Friday - and boy, did we get it! Fortunately, by then all the 3" gray-primed floor boards were tucked in, under a sheet of heavy poly, so they were safe from the elements.


Enjoying the Elements


Since our near frost in mid September, we've had pretty nice nighttime temperatures. I know this can't last forever, so I've got several plants potted (above, l.) and ready to spend the winter indoors. I'll wait until the last possible moment to bring them in.


I've got carrots to can and peppers to freeze this week - and hopefully a porch floor to paint, once it's installed.

Thanks for stopping in. I've lots of catching up to do. Hope you all have a good week! :-)


Rain on my Lens
October 4


***


'Sandalwood & Vanilla'
Natural, Handcrafted Vegan Soap

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at

24 comments:

Elizabeth Edwards said...

i wondered how long you would be away. glad to see your fall shots.. . amazing colors! ( :

have a wonderful week.

Paulette said...

Lots of work painting and dreaming about painting, LOL. Glad you're back.

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Oh, what a job!! Looks like you made a lot of progress, though.

I've got my plants outside all ready to come in for the winter, too. Finding a place to put them all is the problem. I actually cleaned out a room yesterday to try to fit some of them in there. Greg loves this time of year. Not!

Diane said...

Fab colors on that on that last shot. Annoying when you dream about work, isn't it?

Judy said...

Painting floor boards is a lot of work...Painting period is a lot of work :)
Did you have good color this fall? We didn't seem to have any reds down here in Southwest Wisconsin this year.

MadSnapper said...

just reading about all that painting might give me bad dreams. that is a LOT of boards to paint on both sides. but the porch will be worth it. love the pic of the pup on the path.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Wow! Thats a lot of work, I am glad you showed us those wonderful fall colours

Chatty Crone said...

Building something is always a lot of work and you wonder why did you start it, but when it is finished you will LOVE it.

Deanna said...

That last photo is glorious! I'm waiting until the last minute to bring in our porch plants. I need to get my husband to install a hook somewhere for another hanging plant. The creeping charlie I bought this spring did so well and is even blooming again.

Vee said...

Oh that sounds labor intensive. Are you painting them in the same way? I'd rather prefer to, I think, rather than bending or being on my knees. Can't wait to see it all done. How lovely the porch will be!

TexWisGirl said...

oh, that color!!! beautiful!

Anonymous said...

So much work but SO worth it. Just lovely!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

The outdoor color is beautiful!

I love the photo of the kitty on the walkway!

I've dreamed what I've worked on in the day. THat's exhausting!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You're a busy busy lady but I know you'll be so happy when it's done before winter weather. Enjoy your week...try not to work too hard! Sweet hugs!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

It looks like you are making great progress! Mom has been closely monitoring the weather for me too, last weekend we did most of our outdoor painting.

sweetbriardreams said...

I'm really pleased you got your floor boards in before the rain. We are getting some at the end of the week after our warm spell which I am looking forward to. The autumn colours should then kick in. xx

Terri D said...

I didn't stop in, but I did think about you. You were missed! What a task you are tackling, though! Glad you got the floor boards done before the weather got too wet to work on it. Thanks for checking in and keeping us in the loop!!

Carla from The River said...

Hi Judy,
I love your fall photos.
October 7th and I still have petunias and morning glories blooming! Amazing. :-)

NanaDiana said...

You are getting lots of work done there. You set up paint shop like we do here. Must be a Wisconsin thing! Your colors there are beautiful. Can you believe the weather we are having? 70's here tomorrow. Hope you have a great week. I have cousins coming for the week. xo Diana

Lynn Blaylock said...

Busy, busy, busy...I can tell you've been working your but off.I can't wait to see your finished porch. I'm a porch lover. All your pics were great as always. Your walkway caught my eye; I see you have used to wood boards. It looks nice and possibly a more affordable way to go but do they get very slick due to the weather? I'll be looking at options a little later on for my home.

Have a wonderful week!

Susie said...

I always hated when I worked in my sleep..LOL. You tickled me. When everything is done, you can be proud you helped. You have some beautiful scenery to enjoy. xoxo,Susie

Denise said...

Nice pictures.

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

All your work will be rewarded when you sip tea on your porch next spring!

Donna said...

Won't it be a relief when it's all done? Love the fall colors!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails