Friday, May 6, 2016

It's Friday, Friends!


Good morning! I'm making at attempt today to organize my photos into five categories so I can join Amy's Five on Friday. Above is a collage representing several things I've been doing lately, and I'll try to explain them.

1. In the upper right is the Westby, WI water tower. We've been spending a lot of time in Westby lately. It's a three-hour drive from our home to Westby in the SW part of the state, and of course a beautiful drive, especially this time of year. The area has a huge Amish community, hence the photos of the barn, the farmer, and my Amish doll. As some of you may remember, we're cleaning out a cousin's house and settling his estate. Putting it kindly, let's just say that he was a 'collector.' So far, I'd say we've made a dent. Lots to do. Lots to do. Lots to still do.


 2.  The cousin I'm talking about was born in 1948, but his father was born in 1894 and fought in WWI. Above is the marker at his grave site in a small cemetery north of Westby.


3. Sidie Hollow. The photo above was taken a couple days ago in Sidie Hollow west of Viroqua. If you were to look at a map of the region, there are many, many areas named 'hollow,' and the landscape is beautiful. The winding roads and all the hills/valleys remind me of the Yorkshire Dales, in that you don't get anywhere in a hurry, and that it's probably the prettiest part of our state (Wisconsin). Sidie Hollow is a lovely picnic and camping area and I hope to return there some day with a picnic in tow.


4. There's a Star of David window on the little old, abandoned Methodist church in Hillsdale, just a few miles down the road from our place. At first, it might seem a bit odd to have a Star of David, well-recognized as a symbol if Judaism, in a Christian church. I make an attempt to explain that connection in my blog post coming up on Sunday. 


5. Rearranging my mantel. My friend Deb came over the other day and helped me rearrange the top of the bookshelves where I have a few things I like (yes, I've pared it down a bit). The photos below are of groupings I have on the mantel next to our wood-burning stove.  Old post box fronts and old history books make the first group, and my little sheep with the black face finally made its way to the mantel. I'm hoping to rearrange more often than I have done in the past. It's easy for me to place something somewhere and forget about it. (If it ain't broke, don't fix it?) but it could be more interesting around here if I paid more attention to having fewer objects placed more strategically.

I just noticed that Tuppence is placed more strategically in a large block of sunlight coming in through the east window. It's supposed to be 91 degrees today, so I better get the windows closed and keep the indoors cool.




Linking to Amy's Five on Friday and Debbie's Friday Foto Friend 


P.S. For those who are curious about the doll, I bought that little doll from an Amish woman who had a little stand in the driveway of their farm in Lancaster County, PA - about 20 years ago. She came with a face - and long eyelashes! :-)

***

Check out my natural, handcrafted vegan soap!
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE
 
Southern Magnolia
Natural Vegan Soap


...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
 
HomemadeSoapNSuch


and at


Our ETSY Shop



Have a wonderful day, everyone!

Judy

22 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

What a lovely old building, I will be sure to pop by and get the explanation of the Star of David on Sunday. Take care.

Visits With Mary said...

Sidie Hollow is beautiful and so was the old church. Great pictures!

Lady Jane said...

My favs are also sidie hollow (would love to picnic there) and the old church is amazing. Too bad someone doesn't rehab it before it is too late. Love the window. Hugs, LJ

Terri D said...

I always love seeing your photos of the local countryside there. Just lovely (without snow!). I like your keepsakes and grouping of old PO boxes. My mom worked at the Post Office in our little town where I grew up. We all had a PO Box back then...so delivery, except out in the country. Our box was #37, Millersport, OH 43046. Doubt I'll ever forget it.

Amy at love made my home said...

A lovely post! I liked seeing your different arrangements, they are fun to play around with aren't they. The window is interesting isn't it, fascinated to hear more about it. Thank you for joining Five On Friday this week, hope you have an enjoyable weekend!

Anonymous said...

We've had experience with hoarders and oh my it's a lot of work to deal with. Hats off to your for your efforts. Love the old church with the Star of David in the window. I'm sure the story behind it will be interesting.
Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Sharon said...

What a beautiful old church! I love looking around old buildings. It sounds like you've got a lot of sorting to do sorting out your relative's estate.

Hope you have a great weekend. Thanks for sharing your wonderful pictures.

Breathing In Grace said...

Gorgeous photos! Thanks so very much for linking up with me today, too. HOPE you have a wonderful Mother's Day weekend.

Mac n' Janet said...

I like your sheep! I had a couple on my post today too.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Your photos always make me want to visit your area, Judy. It's lovely. I've been through Wisconsin years ago on our way to Minnesota to visit Grayden's cousins. I remember the barns and beautiful hillsides dotted with cows. Your postal box fronts are very interesting as well as the lovely history books and of course the black faced sheep. It must be hard going through years of someone's belongings. I do hope you have help. Happy Mother's Day to you! ♥

Carla from The River said...

Hi Judy,
You have been busy! You have a great eye with photography. I always enjoy your photos.
Happy Mother's Day to you. You are a special mom, grandma and friend!
Carla

Christine said...

I don't envy you sorting through so much stuff but then again I do love finding hidden treasures like those old books and the cute sheep pull toy!
Viroqua looks beautiful and I'd love to visit the Amish area. Surprising to see a face on the Amish doll.
Have a wonderful Mother's Day!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I just love the view of the Hollow. Very pretty place. The old church is lovely. Your mantel arrangement is nice, I like the cute sheep. Happy Mother's Day weekend to you!

MadSnapper said...

i have seen those windows on many churches in the south. i love that little church and would like to live in it if i could... the view of the hollow is wonderful...

This N That said...

Love Sidie Hollow..Your arrangements are very interesting...Don't remember an Amish doll with a face..Wonderful photos..Happy Mothers Day...

Anonymous said...

You do this so well! Lovely photos and written so nicely. Thanks for allowing me in for a visit!

podso said...

Wisconsin is a beautiful state and the more I see your blog the more I realize it. I hope you have a good weekend.

betty-NZ said...

Nice scenes! The window in the church is quite unusual! I like the PO box fronts as a mantel decoration.

doodles n daydreams said...

A very interesting post, I love that your Amish doll has big eyes and long eyelashes - how unusual.

Diana

Lynne said...

I enjoyed your post and "the five" . . .
Loved the "hollow" photo . . .(haven't heard that word for many years!)
Traveling, sorting, cleaning, traveling back home and tending to things there must fill your weeks to the brim!
I hope today you'll be enjoying a very Happy Mother's Day . . .

Lowcarb team member said...

Your photo's are lovely, and I can imagine walking around the countryside and scenes with you.
Enjoy this special Mothers Day weekend

All the best Jan

Robin Follette said...

What a lovely week! Your photos are beautiful. Churches here have windows like that but I seldom see them in other places so this was nice!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails