Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Hodgepodging the Woolly Bear Desert

 I wonder if the caterpillar thinks he's crossing a desert.
Any way you look at it, it's going to be a long winter ahead.


Join Joyce and the Gang
for
She writes the questions;
we write the answers.
Plug them into your own post
and join in.

Thank you, Joyce!

1. Have you ever been to and/or lived near the desert? What did you think? Travel and Leisure lists the 'coolest' American desert towns as-

Palm Springs CA, Virgina City NE, Bend OR, Winslow AZ, Marfa TX, Grand Junction CO, Silver City NM, Moab UT, Taos NM, Yakima WA, Borrego Springs CA, Terlingua TX, and St. George UT, and Tubac AZ

I did live near the desert at one time, and thought it wasn't a good place to be 9 months pregnant in the summertime.

Have you been to any of these? Would you like to visit a desert town? Which on the list would you most like to visit?

I would rather visit a dessert town. Recipes for cheesecakes below.

2. What's a plan or project you've deserted in the past year? 
I've deserted housekeeping, gardening, travel plans, and most of my friends.


3. Desert-dessert? Share two or three words you find yourself having to think twice about when it comes to spelling.  
I used to spell 'occasionally' incorrectly, but now my spelling is absolutily impeckible.
 Rudbeckia & Purple Asters


4. High and dry, like watching paint dry, dry run, dry as dust, not a dry eye in the house...which phrase can you relate to currently? Explain. 
'Like watching paint dry,' and anyone who has followed this blog at all will know what I mean, so I'm not going into further explanation.

Happy watching paint dry
(photo from the www)


5. How often do you frequent the dry cleaners? Starch or no starch?  
Infrequently. I don't buy anything that has to be drycleaned. 
 Coyote hat, dryclean only.
6. What's a food or beverage you enjoy that's named for a place? 
Chicken stirfry, evidently named after Chicken, Alaska.
7. Do you need solitude? 
8.  Insert your own random thought here.


Last year's photo, but Mr. C. and same grandson went to the woods yesterday also, to mark the trees with yellow paint, so that when all the leaves fall to the ground, he's able to easily distinguish the dead from the living, when taking trees out for firewood. It looks like he marked it with hazardous materials tape last year. Oh that Mr. C.


 ***


Check out my natural, handcrafted vegan soap!
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE
 

Amber Romance
Natural Vegan Soap


...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
 
HomemadeSoapNSuch
re-opening October 1


and at


Our ETSY Shop


Join me on Instagram: @cranberrymorning

Judy

29 comments:

Preppy Empty Nester said...

I'd rather visit a dessert town too! Love the goldfish visual. Have a great week, dear Judy!

Susie said...

Hi Judy, Love your photos. No pregnant is summer is hard enough, yikes who wants to be in the desert at that time. LOL. I love the grandson photo by the marked tree. My Teddy Bear mark off about 12 dead ash trees recently...they will be coming down for firewood. Sad for the woods. We also have some dead ash trees in the park.. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

MadSnapper said...

love all your pics today and I do know what you mean about your watching paint dry for the past few months... that wooly worm I stepped on one, solid black and it stung like fire. hope soon you can stop watching paint dry... yikes on pregnant and in the desert..

Arlene G said...

That Cheese Cake...yum!! And I had to laugh at the picture of Bob Ross. One of my nieces says my great nieces love to watch the reruns of Bob Ross. It gives her 30 minutes of uninterrupted time. Hey, I like to watch him too although his style is rather generic. I admire anyone who could talk and paint at the same time.

Mama Squirrel said...

Whoah, a dessert town? I like that idea.

Theresa said...

Haha to your answer for # 3! I used to enjoy watching Bob Ross. Amazing what he'd come up with using just a dot here and a stroke there ;) Happy Wednesday!

Chatty Crone said...

The caterpillar probably does think it is a desert and a thousand miles - I never thought of that. Those flowers are gorgeous. And I am with you I'd rather visit a dessert town than a desert town. We think alike!

SImple and Serene Living said...

My spelling has definitely gone downhill since I started using the internet. I'm using that excuse rather than the fact I may have fried too many brain cells living in the heat of the dessert for eight years. :)
xo
Laura

Loris Glassworks said...

LOL...dessert town...I'm in, when can we leave, I'll go pack. I don't know much about wooly caterpillars, I'm going to need to look that up. Hodgepodge always gives me items to research, I love it! Have a good week.
Cheers!
Lori in Blue Ridge, GA

Suzanne McClendon said...

What a pretty caterpillar!

I can imagine that it would be totally horrible to be pregnant in a desert. Being pregnant in a high humidity, Southern summer wasn't too easy, either.

I know its a snoopy question...but why have you deserted the things you mentioned in #2? I have done so to a degree myself. It is almost like I just need a break from humanity for awhile.

Those are pretty flowers in the basket and the colors look great together. :)

That soap has a pretty design. I bet it smells nice, too.

Have a blessed week!

David E. McClendon, Sr. said...

I love the food pictures. Have a great week.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Hope it was OK to snicker through this post, it started with dessert town.
Of course folklore surrounding wooly bear predictions is no laughing matter if a long snow filled winter is in our future.

Lowcarb team member said...

I know it's last years photo but I like it ... your last photo that is!

All the best Jan

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I really enjoyed your answers and pictures today. Yum on the cheesecakes!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Ahhh...the wooly worm to predict how bad the winter will be. They do that in NC but I always forget how it goes. And then of course you will probably see more than one and what if they have different bands around the middle. Well, I've rambled now. Hope you have a beautiful afternoon! Sweet hugs, Diane

Judy S. said...

When we were in the Midwest recently, my GD found one of these woolies, and I couldn't remember the story of their weather predictability. Can you refresh my brain please? Love that goldfish photo! I remember the second s in dessert this way: when you have one, you always want more. Tee Hee. Hope this finds you feeling lots better!

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

I love your sense of humor Judy. Yes, it would be lovely to go to dessert town at your table. And your flowers are beautiful. As far as the woolly caterpillar a, I choose not to believe him. Enjoy your evening. ♥

Terri D said...

Ha! Chuckling at your #3 answer!! Chuckling at your photos, period. You always make the Hodgepodge fun with your photos. I enjoyed reading 'you' today! Have a good evening!

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

So enjoyed your blog post today, Judy and got a chuckle out of #2 because I can so relate.

Empty Nester said...

'Impeckible' spelling...LOL Reni (lovely 3 and mommy to Baby M) LOVES, and I mean LOVES Bob Ross. She loves to put him on YouTube and paint right along with him. :) Chicken, Alaska? For real? Who knew?! :)

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I think I can relate to most of your answers. I wouldn't want to live in a desert, but I would love to visit...probably once! I remember Bob- my best friend studied him and learned a lot of techniques. She learned a lot from that show. Me? Hmmmm, like watching paint dry for sure...but not here on your blog!

L. D. said...

A lot of fun things to read and to see. The deserts made me hungry.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Judy, I could not live in the desert. Heat makes me ill. But I enjoy visiting it occasionally. (My spelling is "impeckible" too! haha) On a road trip with three women friends several years ago, we went through three different types of desert, which was news to me because I always thought desert was desert.

Lady Fi said...

Love those colourful flowers.

Vee said...

You have a great sense of humor...impeckible timing! The desert is no place to be three months pregnant either, with all due apologies to those who love the desert. I'd choose high and dry as I just fired a dumpster company yesterday for leaving me in the lurch. No dumpster!

Stephanie said...

Your answer to #3 gave me a good laugh, my friend :)

I so enjoyed your post and I loved seeing the caterpillar as it brought back memories....when I was a child I found one just like that and made a "pet" out of it for a few days. After that I let it go so that it could live its life and change into a butterfly.

Hugs to you!

Anonymous said...

Judy, I am with you on the dessert town! Hey, I'd want to move there! :-)

Your little wooly bear is a handsome fellow. ♥

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

LOL I grew up with this wooly bear prophecy of how the next winter would be, but I've not seen one yet and our trees haven't even started to change here in southwestern PA.

Lynne said...

Anonymous always trips me up . . .
Even right then, spell check "fixed it for me!"
I think you might have heard my story about the
Brown Wooly caterpillar and my daughter at 2-3 . . .
If not, she stuffed one in her pocket and broke out with a terrible
Brown Wooly rash . . .
She could find those BW's all over and loved to find them!
Always enjoy your hodgepodge . . .
Cheese cake, china plates . . . two yums!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails